29th August 2011
* Cairn Curran Reservoir near Picnic Point – White-bellied Sea-eagle (pair), Great Crested Grebe (3), Little Black Cormorants (10+), Whistling Kite.
27th August 2011
* Rise and Shine – Painted Button-quail, Owlet Nightjar (in one of its regular hollows), Collared Sparrowhawk (immature), Fan-tailed Cuckoo (calling).
25th August 2011
* Lignum Swamp @ Campbelltown – Sharp-tailed Sandpipers (4), Flock of Black-winged Stilts (15+), Black-tailed Native-hen, Collared Sparrowhawk, Great Egret, White-necked Heron, Australian Spotted Crakes (numerous), Little Grassbird, Horsfield’s Bronze Cuckoo were the highlights. Also Black-shouldered Kite, Red-kneed and Black-fronted Dotterels.
23rd August 2011
* Rise and Shine – Shining Bronze-cuckoo, Scarlet Robin, Grey Currawong.
21st August 2011
* Rotunda Park Newstead – Horsfield’s Bronze Cuckoo, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Golden Whistler.
17th August 2011
* Mia Mia Track – pair of Little Eagles in the triangle between Mia Mia Road and Mia Mia Track. I suspect there may be an active nest in this area. Small numbers of Musk Lorikeets and also seen were White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike and Hooded Robin.
14th August 2011
* Between Gully Track and Spring Hill Track – Olive-backed Oriole (first of the season), Little and Purple-crowned Lorikeets. Also heard a Horsfield’s Bronze-cuckoo calling along Mia Mia Track.
12th August 2011
* Lignum Swamp – Australian Spotted Crake (10+), Black-tailed Native-hen, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Swamp Harrier, Red-kneed and Black-fronted Dotterels, Black Swan, Grey and Chestnut Teal.
11th August 2011
* Lignum Swamp – Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Pacific Herons (10+), White-faced Heron (10+).
10th August 2011
* Baker’s Swamp – small group of Black-tailed Native-hens.
8th August 2011
* Lignum Swamp – another visit produced a number of Australian Spotted Crakes, pair of Brolgas on pasture south of the wetland. Many Little Grassbirds calling and flitting about.
* Mia Mia Track – Square-tailed Kite and Little Eagle soaring overhead.
* Brown Quail again at the same site reported on 4th August.
6th August 2011
* Lignum Swamp near Campbelltown – pair of Brolgas, Black-fronted and Red-kneed Dotterels, Whistling Kites and many ducks, mainly Grey Teal.
5th August 2011
* Spotless Crake at Lignum Swamp and Black-tailed Native-hens at Baker’s Swamp.
* Barn Owl (roadkilled) on Campbelltown – Clunes Road [location].
* Great Egrets (~15) at Merin Merin Swamp.
4th August 2011
* Covey of ~ 10 Brown Quail at corner of Newstead/Maryborough Road and Rodborough Rd. Seen the following day also.
3rd August 2011
* Rise and Shine near Drury Lane – Owlet Nightjar peering from small hollow in Long-leaved Box. Also a Little Eagle seen soaring above the Reserve and Fan-tailed Cuckoo.
* Fan-tailed Cuckoo calling in Newstead.
27th July 2011
* Red, White and Blue Track – flock of Grey Currawongs ~ 10 birds
* Red, White and Blue Mine – small flock of Eastern Spinebills … my only sightings so far this winter.
23rd July 2011
* Mia Mia Track – small numbers of Little and Purple-crowned Lorikeets flying over. White-browed Babblers and good numbers of honeyeaters – mainly Fuscous, Yellow-tufted and White-naped with Black-chinned heard calling.
* Cemetery Road – single Rainbow Lorikeet amongst a small flock of Musk Lorikeets.
15th July 2011
* Mia Mia Track – Hooded Robin, Crested Shrike-tit, White-browed Babbler, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, Jacky Winter, Crested Bellbird (calling).
12th July 2011
* Mia Mia Track – male Scarlet Honeyeater [see post], Purple-crowned Lorikeet, Hooded Robin, Black-chinned Honeyeater, Wedge-tailed Eagle.
11th July 2011
* Rise and Shine (near Drury Lane) – Australian Owlet-nightjar, Diamond Firetail, Flame Robin (small flock).
10th July 2011
* Large numbers of Brown Falcons across the Moolort Plains at the moment …. 8 birds seen simultaneously from one spot on Rodborough Road this morning. Numbers of Black-shouldered Kites also seem to be on the increase.
9th July 2011
* Immature Australasian Grebes on farm dam (near Frogmore Swamp) on the Moolort Plains.
8th July 2011
* Joyces Creek [location] – Single Barn Owl seen on roadside at ~ 6pm
5th July 2011
* Brown Goshawk – Newstead township
4th July 2011
* Great-crested Grebe (immature) on Cairn Curran @ Joyces Creek.
2nd July 2011
* Whistling Kite calling near ‘The Island’ on the Loddon River this morning and a female Collared Sparrowhawk with prey, possibly a young rabbit.
* Brown Quail near railway overpass at Moolort.
25th June 2011
* Mia Mia Road – small flock of Diamond Firetails, pair of Peaceful Doves (also reported by Greg McKay on Birdline Victoria) and a number of Flame Robins (all ‘brown’ birds).
24th June 2011
* Spring Hill Track – Yellow-footed Antechinus, Golden Whister (male), White-naped, Yellow-tufted and Fuscous Honeyeaters.
10th June 2011
* Loddon River @ Newstead – Brown Falcon (at the ‘Island’), Peaceful Dove and Dusky Moorhen at the Ford.
3rd June 2011
* Wyndham St, Newstead – Collared Sparrowhawk
1st June 2011
* Loddon River @ Newstead – Crested Shrike-tit (3) and Peaceful Dove at the ‘Island’