27th August 2010
* Juvenile Brown Goshawk – found roadkilled beside the Pyrenees Highway on the Moolort Plains – location.
* Single Brolga on lignum swamp at Cotswold.
* Flock of ~ 100 Straw-necked Ibis on shallow freshwater wetland at Cotswold – location.
17th August 2010
* Boobook Owl calling not far from our back door this evening at ~ 9.30pm.
14th August 2010
* Similar story to yesterday but with fewer Black-shouldered Kites ~ 15 today. Am fairly confident that there may be four Black Falcons present at the moment!
13th August 2010
* Large numbers of raptors on the Moolort Plains with 25-30 Black-shouldered Kites along Rodborough Rd, many Australian Kestrels and Brown Falcons. Pair of Black Falcons with possibly a third bird in the same area. Swamp Harrier further west past Locks Lane. Also saw a Whistling Kite and Wedge-tailed Eagle.
* Small party of Black-winged Stilts on Lignum Swamp at Cotswold [location]. No sign of the Brolgas.
10th August 2010
* Pair of Grey Currawongs near corner of Rilens Road and Box Track, Muckleford State Forest [location].
* Swift Parrots ~ 10 near junction of Sullivans Track and Spring Hill Track [location] – feeding on lerps including some low down in small Yellow Gums.
6th August 2010
* A few Swift Parrots seen and heard near junction of Sullivans Track and Spring Hill Track
* Fan-tailed Cuckoo heard calling on dusk near Newstead Primary School
4th August 2010
* Flock of ~ 8 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos near intersection of Rodborough Rd and Clunes Rd [location] this morning at 8.30am.
* Single Black Falcon seen at corner of Rodborough Rd and Clarks Lane [location].
* Brolga pair still in same lignum swamp at Cotswold – now filling nicely with water so suspect will attempt to breed.
31st July 2010
* Black Falcon in paddock just west of Clarks Lane [location], later seen soaring over Rodborough Rd.
* Brolga pair in same location at Cotswold.
30th July 2010
* Wedge-tailed Eagle cruising over the centre of Newstead at about 1pm today.
25th July 2010
* Little Eagle over Mia Mia Track.
* Flame Robins numerous in the bush west of Mia Mia Track. Also Little Lorikeets seen flying over.
24th July 2010
* Many raptors across the Moolort Plains including two Black Falcons (one with Whistling Kite and Black Kite on Rodborough Rd, the other along Clarks Lane). Also seen: Wedge-tailed Eagle (near Walkers Swamp), many Australian Kestrels, Brown Falcons and Black-shouldered Kites.
22nd July 2010
* Brolga pair in same location at Cotswold
15th July 2010
* Quite a number of Peaceful Doves in ones and twos in open woodland above Muckleford Gorge
14th July 2010
* Male Hooded Robin on Spring Hill Track – location
* Two seperate groups of White-browed Babblers along Mia Mia Track near ornamental Eucalypt plantation.
12th July 2010
* Pair of Brolgas at Cotswold – same pair … same place!
11th July 2010
* Lone Black Falcon perched on fence post beside the road on Clarke’s Lane – location.
9th July 2010
* Wedge-tailed Eagle soaring over Cemetery Rd, Newstead.
7th July 2010
* Small groups of Swift Parrots along Spring Hill Track, near Sullivans Track (<10) and Mia Mia Track (20+) – see post.
4th July 2010
* Noisy Friarbird mobbed by smaller honeyeaters – south of Clarke Lane, Newstead [location].
* Brolgas again in same location at Cotswold feeding in lignum swamp at north end of paddock.
* Pair of courting Whistling Kites harried by a single Brown Goshawk at Rodborough. Usual numbers of Brown Falcons, Black-shouldered Kites and Nankeen Kestrels.
3rd July 2010
* Single Wedge-tailed Eagle cruising north over the centre of Newstead township.
30th June 2010
* Pair of Red-capped Robins near Thornhill Reef Quartz Roasting kilns off Demo Track [location]. Also seen here were Scarlet Robin, Flame Robin, Golden Whistler, Brown Thornbill, Buff-rumped and Yellow-rumped Thornbills, White-naped Honeyeater, Yellow-faced and Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters.
28th June 2010
* Pair of Brolgas at Cotswold in same location as sighted on 15th and 21st June .
* Single adult Blue-winged Parrot at Glengower – same location as 21st of June.
* Spotted Harrier and Australian Hobby just south of Walkers Swamp.
27th June 2010
* Roadkilled Barn Owl at Joyces Creek – see post plus Brown Falcon, Nankeen Kestrel, Black-shouldered Kite and Whistling Kite between Locks Lane and Joyces Creek.
21st June 2010
* Pair of Brolgas at Cotswold in same location as reported on 15th June.
* Flock of between 20 and 30 Blue-winged Parrots south west of Glengower [location] along with a number of Singing Bushlarks along fencelines and roadside.
* Diamond Firetails (one carrying nesting material) on Tangeys Lane, Newstead.
20th June 2010
* Flock of 6 Swift Parrots at junction of Spring Hill and Sullivans Tracks – location
* Party of 3 Grey Currawongs at junction of Mia Mia Rd and Mia Mia Track.
* Pair of Brown Falcons on south side of Newstead Racecourse Reserve and a single Nankeen Kestrel just west of the Loddon River bridge at Newstead.
19th June 2010
* Single Black Falcon cruising low and fast in pursuit of birds at Walkers Swamp [location] on the Moolort Plains.
* Party of White-browed Babblers and flock of Black-chinned Honeyeaters at Pound Lane, Newstead.
18th June 2010
* Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos – flock of ~ 30 over Newstead Primary School at 3pm today. Note that this same flock was reported at Strangways by the Prest family at 8.30am on the 19th June.
17th June 2010
16th June 2010
* Whistling Kite circling over the highway bridge on the Loddon River @ Newstead.
15th June 2010
* Rise and Shine Bushland Reserve – a number of small flocks of Swift Parrots ~ 25 – 30 in total. One bird (pictured) feeding on Yellow Box fruits. Also a flock of Black-chinned Honeyeaters.
* Pair of Red-capped Robins near Captains Gully Rd [location].
* Gough’s Range near Welshmans Reef [location] – Red-capped Robin, Scarlet Robin and many Flame Robins. Also Speckled Warbler, Buff-rumped Thornbill, Striated Thornbill, Varied Sitella and Weebills.
14th June 2010
* Female Hooded Robin on Cemetery Rd [location] along with a number of Jacky Winters providing a nice contrast. Pretty unusual to see a Hooded Robin in such open country.
* Muckleford Gorge – Lots of Flame Robins, a Golden Whistler (male) and single Diamond Firetail seen this morning.
* Dusky Woodswallows high over Spring Hill Track.
12th June 2010
8th June 2010
* Pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles perched in dead Red Stringybark on Malcolm Fyffe’s property at Providence Gully – location.
7th June 2010
* Mia Mia Track – on a brief visit today had good views of a flock of 4 Swift Parrots in the firewood harvesting area [location].
6th June 2010
* Loddon River at Newstead – a few Swift Parrots heard and seen in the area around “The Island”. Family of Whistling Kites with nest – see post.
* Black Falcons – a pair along Rodborough Road plus lots of Black-shouldered Kites, Australian Kestrels, Brown Falcons, Whistling Kite and a pair of Black Kites.
4th June 2010
* Boundary Gully, Moolort Plains – Party of ~ 8 Australasian Grebes, Chestnut-breasted Shelducks and Black-fronted Plovers.
* Locks Lane, Moolort Plains – Australian Hobby plus pair of Spotted Harriers along Rodborough Rd. The usual assortment of other raptors; Brown Falcons, Black-shouldered Kites, Nankeen Kestrels and a Wedge-tailed Eagle.