31st May 2011
* Muckleford Gorge – Wedge-tailed Eagle, Brown Falcon, large flock (30+) of White-winged Chough, Pied Currawong, Rufous Whistler, Scarlet Robin.
29th May 2011
* Rise and Shine – White-browed Babbler, White-naped Honeyeater, Scarlet Robin, White-eared Honeyeater.
28th May 2011
* Baringhup town swamp – 3 Yellow-billed Spoonbills, Chestnut Teal, Grey Teal, Black-fronted Dotterel.
* Mia Mia Track – Black-chinned Honeyeater, Diamond Firetail (4), Hooded Robin (male), White-browed Babbler, Crested Shrike-tit all in the ornamental eucalypt plantation [location].
26th May 2011
* Brown Goshawk near power easement on the Loddon River @ Newstead.
23rd May 2011
* Black-tailed Native-hens (3) at Lignum Swamp, Campbelltown. The Brolga pair were also present on the nearby freshwater meadow where they have been regular over the past month.
21st May 2011
* Spring Hill Track area – searched in vain for Swift Parrots today but did see some Painted Button-quail, a Fan-tailed Cuckoo and a travelling flock of Flame Robins (coloured and brown birds).
20th May 2011
Highlights from a trip around the Moolort wetlands with Patrick Kavanagh this morning included:
* Baringhup town swamp – 2 Cattle Egrets and about a dozen Black-fronted Plovers.
* Havelock Road wetland – 2 Blue-winged Parrots.
* Frogmore Swamp – Black-tailed Native-hens, Pink-eared Ducks (30+), Yellow-billed Spoonbills (2), Musk Duck pair with 6 young plus many Grey Teal, Black Swans with cygnets, young Hardheads.
* Freshwater meadow near Lignum Swamp – Brolga pair still present, Black Swans with cygnets.
Also Brown Falcons numerous across the plains and a pair of Wedge-tailed eagles at Blackmore Swamp.
16th May 2011
* Single Cattle Egret – Baringhup town swamp. Pictured below with immature Pacific Heron.
15th May 2011
* Small Flock of Flame Robins including males and ‘brown’ birds near the shelter at the Rise and Shine.
* Wedge-tailed Eagle (2), Brown Falcon, Nankeen Kestrel and Black-shouldered Kite between Strangways and Newstead.
5th May 2011
* Small drying wetland along White’s Lane – numerous Singing Bushlarks on the bed of the wetland and lots of Stubble Quail flushed.
* Long Swamp – Spotted Harrier seen south of the swamp.
* Joyces Creek, near Plaistow – Little Eagle
4th May 2011
* Spring Hill and Mia Mia Track area – Crested Bellbird (calling), Restless Flycatcher, Scarlet Robin, Brown-headed Honeyeater, Brown Thornbill, Buff-rumped Thornbill, Weebill.
* Lignum Swamp – Brolga (pair on small freshwater meadow NE of the Swamp), Wedge-tailed eagle, Swamp Harrier, Stubble Quail, Black-fronted Plover.
* Moolort Silos – Australian Hobby, Black-shouldered Kites, Nankeen Kestrels, Brown Falcon.
* Cnr Pyrenees Highway and Long Swamp Road – Black Kite
23rd April 2011
* Along Mia Mia Track – Diamond Firetail, Restless Flycatcher (pair) and Crested Bellbird (calling).
22nd April 2011
* Grassy wetland near Lignum Swamp – pair of Brolgas.
* Lignum Swamp – Swamp Harrier, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Blue-winged Shoveler (pair), Black Duck, Grey Teal, Chestnut Teal, Black Swan, Purple Swamphen, Musk Duck, Eurasian Coot. White-fronted Chat.
15th April 2011
* Mia Mia Track [location] – male Hooded Robin.
* Pullans Road near Mia Mia Track – mixed flock of thornbills: Buff-rumped, Striated and Brown. Brown Goshawk soaring high overhead.
13th April 2011
* Single Whistling Kites over Loddon River @ Newstead and on the flats at Strangways near the Jim Crow Creek.
* Rise and Shine – White-naped, Black-chinned and Fuscous Honeyeaters, Brown Goshawk.
10th April 2011
* Antares at the ford of the Loddon @ Newstead – Jacky Winter, Rufous Whistler (immature), Brown Falcons (pair in courtship display).
* Loddon River Newstead – Whistling Kite.
7th April 2011
* Havelock Road Swamp – flock of 16 White-faced Herons feeding on this small freshwater marsh [location].
28th March 2011
* Rise and Shine – White-naped Honeyeater, Peaceful Dove, Dusky Woodswallow, Fuscous Honeyeater, Brown-headed Honeyeater, Red Wattlebird, Grey Currawong, Jacky Winter, Welcome Swallow.
* Spring Hill Track – Crested Bellbird, White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike, Dusky Woodswallow, Eastern Rosella.
22nd March 2011
* Bucknall’s Swamp – Flock of ~ 20 Sacred Ibis, Intermediate Egret, Brown Goshawk (pair), Hoary-headed Grebe, Australasian Grebe, Black Swan (nest with 5 eggs), Eurasian Coot (nest with eggs), Grey Teal, Australian Shelduck, Pacific Black Duck.
* Walker’s Swamp – Black Swan (nest with 5 eggs), Eurasian Coot (nest with 6 eggs), Brown Goshawk (pair), Whistling Kite (pair).
* Lignum Swamp – Purple Swamphen, Eurasian Coot, Little Grassbirds (common and calling vociferously), Masked Lapwing – pair with three tiny chicks, Little Pied Cormorant, Musk Duck with ducklings.
20th March 2011
* Loddon River walk from Newstead to Welshmans Reef – Darter, Collared Sparrowhawk, Whistling Kites (numerous), Wedge-tailed Eagle, Pied Cormorant, Little Corella, Long-billed Corella, Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike.
* Newstead township – Brown Goshawk.
17th March 2011
* Moolort Plains – single Red-kneed Dotterel on roadside wetland on Clark’s Road. At White’s Swamp – hundreds of ducks mainly Wood Duck, Black Duck and a few Grey Teal. Black Swan nesting on small Bucknall Swamp.